Finishing out the week
Happy Sunday dearest grandchildren,
This being the first day of the week, I want to take a moment to close out last week - especially the part where I was not going to or from or at work (11.5 hours each day).
The mornings are very cold (under 40 F) so I find inside tasks to do when I am not working on self improvement. I have had two such tasks on my to-do-list for several months. The first was to finish off G'ma Judith's grow light. Well, this light actually helps G'ma Judith's flowers grow. I put the grow light up several months ago and said that if she liked it then I would finish the job.
I had completed it to the point that there was a plug at the end of a slightly long electrical cord. All that I had to do was trim the cord, put in a small switch, and re-connect the plug. Of course, there was a small technical attribute in that I wanted the cord to be exactly long enough that it could be plugged in without hanging down. And there was the small logistical attribute in that I laid the parts down somewhere in the garage (black hole). The switch was single pole so I knew that that part did not require an estimate of length so I guessed at the part that attached to the plug. Once the lamp-cord was cut to that length I could snip and strip one line of the lamp cord - which I did. Then I attached the snipped-and-stripped cord through the switch. Then I attached the plug. A beautiful job, I must admit. It fit perfectly.
The other task required just a few moments outside so I count it as an inside task. When we moved here I did not finish re-attaching some parts to the barbecue. Every now and then I would be surprised by the part popping loose as I lifted it to move the BBC about. During the preparation to empty the house, the screws magically appeared. I dashed onto the deck, attached most of the screws, and dashed back into the house.
Two jobs off the refrigerator list. The marker-ink in which I had written the messages had hardened to the point that I could not easily rub it off so I softened it up by scribbling over it with the marker-pencil.
The big unscheduled task is cleaning the garage. Since I had to find ways to outwit the laws of physics, I got G'ma Judith involved. We removed a car-load of give-a-way and a back seat of cardboard. I used to burn it but don't any more because it messes up everyone's air. And because I worry about being fined $30,000? We also picked up some more plastic tubs which will be used to store some of what remains. I am so grateful for the Kero-sun heater. It is amazing - even at $5 per gallon for kerosene.
The sun now high in the sky, the annual replacing of the studded tires was next on the list. Last spring I had the benefit of Uncle Aaron during my planned removal of the studded tires but I did it alone this year. Took about an hour. The temperature was still quite low so I put on my outdoor work suit and a hat and gloves and was toasty-warm the whole time. And exhausted at the end. I was so glad that Uncle Aaron had not tightened the nuts beyond what I could undo.
Love to you all,
G'pa Bob
This being the first day of the week, I want to take a moment to close out last week - especially the part where I was not going to or from or at work (11.5 hours each day).
The mornings are very cold (under 40 F) so I find inside tasks to do when I am not working on self improvement. I have had two such tasks on my to-do-list for several months. The first was to finish off G'ma Judith's grow light. Well, this light actually helps G'ma Judith's flowers grow. I put the grow light up several months ago and said that if she liked it then I would finish the job.
I had completed it to the point that there was a plug at the end of a slightly long electrical cord. All that I had to do was trim the cord, put in a small switch, and re-connect the plug. Of course, there was a small technical attribute in that I wanted the cord to be exactly long enough that it could be plugged in without hanging down. And there was the small logistical attribute in that I laid the parts down somewhere in the garage (black hole). The switch was single pole so I knew that that part did not require an estimate of length so I guessed at the part that attached to the plug. Once the lamp-cord was cut to that length I could snip and strip one line of the lamp cord - which I did. Then I attached the snipped-and-stripped cord through the switch. Then I attached the plug. A beautiful job, I must admit. It fit perfectly.
The other task required just a few moments outside so I count it as an inside task. When we moved here I did not finish re-attaching some parts to the barbecue. Every now and then I would be surprised by the part popping loose as I lifted it to move the BBC about. During the preparation to empty the house, the screws magically appeared. I dashed onto the deck, attached most of the screws, and dashed back into the house.
Two jobs off the refrigerator list. The marker-ink in which I had written the messages had hardened to the point that I could not easily rub it off so I softened it up by scribbling over it with the marker-pencil.
The big unscheduled task is cleaning the garage. Since I had to find ways to outwit the laws of physics, I got G'ma Judith involved. We removed a car-load of give-a-way and a back seat of cardboard. I used to burn it but don't any more because it messes up everyone's air. And because I worry about being fined $30,000? We also picked up some more plastic tubs which will be used to store some of what remains. I am so grateful for the Kero-sun heater. It is amazing - even at $5 per gallon for kerosene.
The sun now high in the sky, the annual replacing of the studded tires was next on the list. Last spring I had the benefit of Uncle Aaron during my planned removal of the studded tires but I did it alone this year. Took about an hour. The temperature was still quite low so I put on my outdoor work suit and a hat and gloves and was toasty-warm the whole time. And exhausted at the end. I was so glad that Uncle Aaron had not tightened the nuts beyond what I could undo.
Love to you all,
G'pa Bob

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home