G'pa Bob

A place where those who love me can see what I am thinking.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington

The more I prepare myself to help the women in my life be all that they can be the more I prepare myself to be all that I can be.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Thursday - House, yard, car - roses

Good morning beloved,

One of the promises I made to my Sweetheart when we moved here was a nice rose garden. I see three purposes of roses, maybe four, here. There are the beautiful plants in the front, in the shade garden, and on the southwest, of course. And, we have a rose "fence" on the southeast plus some low growing roses which were a mistake (the fourth purpose or kind). And finally, the somewhat wild-roses for me (by my compost pile) which remind me of the real wild roses I lived among as a child.

The maintenance is different for each set. The only maintenance the low growing ones need is to be dug out - but that is for a less busy time. In the mean time they, with all the rest, need sprayed with anti-boring and anti-mildew spray which I do to keep the poisions away from Judith. I buy both in condensed form and mix it into spray bottles so I can afford to be generous. The anti-mildew spray is a copper compound and it works well. I spray ever month though three weeks would be optimum. Do better "next year", right?

The mildew has been terrible. It has created a great deal of work for Judith who does the fine maintenance and it greatly reduces the successful blossoms if not cared for. I made the mistake of putting bark chunks on the ground. A mildew spore can shoot 20 inches into the air from its Scud missile launching pad and mildew thrives on rotting bark (anything rotting) and rose leaves are a great target at well under 20 inches off the ground. I am pulling the bark out and putting in a brown fabric ground cover. This is about half done. Plus, I need some ground-cover pins.

The other maintenance I do is timming - the rough trimming. Roses grow on stems and the stems need to be cut out because too much stem seems to stunt the blossoms. Also, the fence roses need to look somewhat uniform. So, I trim the fence roses back to the height of the rock wall they are beautifying. The beauty roses I selectivley cut stems from.

Judith does the delicate trimming. Maybe she will write about it someday but the methods are well described in places where rose information is available.

Love from G'ma and G'pa from the rose gardens,
G'pa Bob

1 Comments:

Blogger Th. said...

.

Don't you ever listen to popsongs?!?!?!?! Don't you know you are never supposed to promise anyone a rose garden?!?!?!?!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home