Saturday - work day
Good morning,
I so love to work; to produce things and ideas. Saturday is the day I can really go all out. I was exhausted at the end of it.
Two big tasks are under way along with several small ones. The big tasks are cleaning up the roses and moving the compost pile into the garden. But first, some small stuff.
I pulled up much of the pea vines and much of the string bean vines and put them on the deck where Judith could separate the food from the compost. She found 8 quarts of string beans and a quart or so of peas.
We have regular peas and sugar peas. I probably mentioned that the regular peas were planted too late so produced very little other than lots of vines. The sugar peas produce more food because the pods are edible. Note to G'pa Bob: next year, plant the regular peas early then lots of those wonderful sugar peas. Another note: cut the stakes to 36 inches (from 50 or so) and place them 4 feet or so apart so that the strings don't sag so much - and put the bottom string at 4 inches above the ground (instead of 8 or 9) so the peas can reach it and pull themselves up instead of falling over.
The string beans produced wonderfully. Next year, though, I will will probably use the long green plastic poles from Fred Meyer instead of the string based frame I bought. I wasted some time trying to save the string (my boyhood as a poor person comes through every now and then) but the real problem was that I could not keep the frame vertical - the beans pulled it and the wind blew it every which way.
I will talk about the roses and the compost pile in their respective sections so a comment or two on the work will suffice. I raked and shoveled old bark nuggets from the roses then laid down a brown fabric. I hauled the bark to a place in the yard that needs to be covered to keep the weeds down. Then, I pruned the roses and hauled the refuse to a pile. I hope to get a chipper with an electric motor soon so I can chip this pile. It will not compost well because it is too woody but the chips will compost or can be used under the professional beauty bark.
The compost pile needs to be moved before it gets any heavier. I could barely manage the water-logged loads. There is still much to do but I made a dent. As I was wheeling the load to the garden, Judith mentioned that it sure stinks! I guess that to some it does stink. I remember when Andrew and Emily were camping in the East Yard by the 100 acre woods that he, too, thought it quite strong.
Enough for today, but never enough love,
G'pa Bob
I so love to work; to produce things and ideas. Saturday is the day I can really go all out. I was exhausted at the end of it.
Two big tasks are under way along with several small ones. The big tasks are cleaning up the roses and moving the compost pile into the garden. But first, some small stuff.
I pulled up much of the pea vines and much of the string bean vines and put them on the deck where Judith could separate the food from the compost. She found 8 quarts of string beans and a quart or so of peas.
We have regular peas and sugar peas. I probably mentioned that the regular peas were planted too late so produced very little other than lots of vines. The sugar peas produce more food because the pods are edible. Note to G'pa Bob: next year, plant the regular peas early then lots of those wonderful sugar peas. Another note: cut the stakes to 36 inches (from 50 or so) and place them 4 feet or so apart so that the strings don't sag so much - and put the bottom string at 4 inches above the ground (instead of 8 or 9) so the peas can reach it and pull themselves up instead of falling over.
The string beans produced wonderfully. Next year, though, I will will probably use the long green plastic poles from Fred Meyer instead of the string based frame I bought. I wasted some time trying to save the string (my boyhood as a poor person comes through every now and then) but the real problem was that I could not keep the frame vertical - the beans pulled it and the wind blew it every which way.
I will talk about the roses and the compost pile in their respective sections so a comment or two on the work will suffice. I raked and shoveled old bark nuggets from the roses then laid down a brown fabric. I hauled the bark to a place in the yard that needs to be covered to keep the weeds down. Then, I pruned the roses and hauled the refuse to a pile. I hope to get a chipper with an electric motor soon so I can chip this pile. It will not compost well because it is too woody but the chips will compost or can be used under the professional beauty bark.
The compost pile needs to be moved before it gets any heavier. I could barely manage the water-logged loads. There is still much to do but I made a dent. As I was wheeling the load to the garden, Judith mentioned that it sure stinks! I guess that to some it does stink. I remember when Andrew and Emily were camping in the East Yard by the 100 acre woods that he, too, thought it quite strong.
Enough for today, but never enough love,
G'pa Bob

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home