G'pa Bob

A place where those who love me can see what I am thinking.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington

The more I prepare myself to help the women in my life be all that they can be the more I prepare myself to be all that I can be.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

winter garden - carrots for sure

The carrots have survived well. I dug a dozen or so yesterday and ate many of the smaller ones. They are good. Not quite as sweet as new but very edible and would not be a challenge to eat should the necessity arise. There are probably 50 pounds available so we will have to give many away.

I did not get the compost on top as I had hoped but the two inches of garden soil protected them from freezing. Some I had in pots are quite damaged so I can see the difference.

Of course, the onions, garlic, and shallots are (appear to be) doing well. I will look closer when I get the weeds cleaned up. That yard-waste compost had a bad weed in it. I think we will have Swiss chard too.

To think that last year in February I planted 16 carrots in a pot in the house and harvested three or four several months later. I like this gardening year much better so far.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad, you're a talented guy: your efforts are fruitful, and coming to fruition, and are at the same time bearing vegetables.

the sun has only just this week finally melted the snow enough to expose half of our back yard.

arm

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home